The central building of Venizelio Hospital was constructed in the beginning of the 1950’s as a Hospital for Turbeculous, with a capacity of 100 beds.
Since 1967 it started operating as a General Hospital with approximately 120 beds and in 1970, they were also transferred to it the functions of Pananio General Hospital.
The whole Hospital Complex is characterized by extensions that have been performed from 1950 until 2001. In 1999 with the cooperation of the co competent Services of Ministry of Culture and Ministry for the Environment, Physical Planning & Public Works, the building restrictions are determined, aiming to the protection of the archaeological area of Knossos, since the building plot is located at the limit of zone A warranting absolute protection of the archaeological area of Knossos. The building plot of the Hospital has a total area of approximately 103.250m2 and is adjacent, from the west, to the rural road of Heraklion-Knossos, where the access to the Hospital is located.
The object of the project was the elaboration of an architectural, structural and E/M Design, which pertains to the extension of Venizelio Pananio Hospital, at Heraklion in Crete.
The Preliminary - Final Design (1st stage), was based on drafts that were elaborated by the Technical Service of the Hospital, aiming to satisfy the needs of the Hospital, which were pointed out and recorded in the Regulatory Design, which was elaborated in 2003.
In the Extension Design, for which the Preliminary - Final Design (1st stage) has been elaborated, they are foreseen two wards with the necessary nodes of vertical traffic.
The wards are developed in a basement, ground floor, 1st and 2nd floor, of 7.309,70m2 total surface. On the 1st and 2nd floor, they are located the Treatment Units, a small Unit for AIDS and the areas for the overnight accommodation of doctors.
The ground floor accommodates Administration and at the basement, a small Morgue and auxilliary facillities are foreseen.
For operational reasons (alimentation - communication), the Extension -under study- is connected with the existing building complex with an open bridge at the 1st and 2nd floor.
Morphologically, the two wards are separated from the existing building complex with sun protection louvers, which are required by the energy planning, due to the specific orientation of the wards (East - West).
The determinant factors regarding the determination of the design principles of the building and the selection of the construction solutions were the following: